Gladiolus planting procedures and production techniques

The botanical name of Gladiolus is Gladiolus spp; it belongs to the family  Iridaceae

Varieties: Pusa Gunjan, Pusa Bindiya, Pusa Subhangini, Nazrana, Punjab Morning, Punjab Dawn, Kumkum, Chaubattia Arunima, Chaubatita Ankur.

Soil and Climate: Well drained soil with the pH of 6 is highly suitable. Temperature should range between 270C and 300

Season: This crop requires minimum 10 hours of sunlight to over come blindness. So season should be adjusted or light substitution is given.

Propagation and planting: Corms conforming the grades (height/circumference) 8/10, 12/14,
Bed system: Ridges and furrows

Irrigation: Open field 7-8 days interval. Poly house - Drip irrigation 2-3 days interval.

N 60 kg/ha.
P 150 kg/ha
K150 kg/ha
Top dressing N alone is given.
30 kg/ha - 4 leaf stage as foliar spray.
30 kg/ha - Bud stage as soil application.

After cultivation: Hand weeding is done whenever necessary.

Plant Protection: Corms are dipped in hot water at 40 - 450C + fungicide (captan or thiram 2 g/lit) to control Nematode and fungal disease.
Thrips – Methyl demeton 25 EC 2 ml/lit. or dimethoate 30 EC @ 2 ml/lit.
Semilooper and Helicoverpa – methyl demeton or monocrotophos @ 2 ml/lit.
Leaf spot
Spray Carbendazim or Mancozeb 2 g/lit.

Season of flowering and Harvesting
When first bud shows the colour of the variety harvesting is started
Early varieties
Mid season varieties
Late season varieties

Post harvest treatment and Grading: Soaking stem in water to avoid wilting and lodging of stem and flower. Based on stem length and number of florets grouped into A, B, C, D grades.

Yield: Only 85% of stalks produced will give flowers and remaining 15% will become blind, so 2.0 to 2.5 lakhs stalks/ha can be harvested per crop

Post a Comment